Thursday, April 16, 2015

DIGITAL BLOG POST #L chapter 12

DIGITAL BLOG POST #L chapter 12

   
    I definitely think it’s very important for teachers to understand how the technology works in the classroom. If you don't know or understand how things work in the classroom, I would feel that the students would not care about what you are going to teach them. I remember when I was in the 4th grade, we a substitute named Mr.Southerland. He was a teacher for about 20 years and they had “retired” but remained as a substitute teacher. But then we had the projectors that would a cart and you had to use clear “paper” for the image to come up. So then, it was really cold and everyone was getting sick so then my teacher got the flu, and we had Mr.Southerland as a sub. I remember him having to struggle to turn on the machine. Just turning it on. Then trying to get the image to come up on the screen behind, it was just a struggle for him. As young as I was I remember. I didn’t laugh. I just thought it was odd for him not knowing how to use. But as the years went by I didn’t have him as a sub anymore. But Junior year comes around and guess who is sitting in my AP American History class. Yeah Mr.Southerland. When I saw him, I was just praying he knew what he was doing, some of those kids were brats and rude. So I’m hoping for the best. Man did that man prove my class and myself wrong. He was working on the computer, using the new type of projector, and the ipad. I really do feel that it makes a difference if the teacher knows what they are doing. It’ll intrigue the students mind.
   
Flickr credit: Ian Shane
    You can definitely use technology for reward or as a punishment. I see it both ways. When little elementary students do their work, work quietly, and do what they are suppose to do. They are rewarded with computer time, when I was a kid I used to love this because I knew if I had done well on my spelling test, I did all my work, and on time I was allowed to use the computer for like 30mins before lunch. I thought I was awesome. But then there were times where I wasn’t as awesome as I could be. If I got in trouble (over small things), forgot to turn in my homework, or didn’t do well in rotation. I was not allowed to even look at the computer, punishment was meant to be punishment. I feel like teachers can use that to their advantage.
Flickr credit: cliff1066™

   
   
Flickr credit: Kanih









 Using digital textbooks in the classroom is a great way of using technology in the classroom. Being able to use this device and involving the students I would feel that it would  create more images in their head and have a better understanding of the concept, on the pages of the e-Books. When I see things like the e-books of leap frog or using the iPads it makes me wonder if it was really interesting and I had a child I was babysitting at the time they were wanting me to read with them( read with them!) I was shocked because this child was able to read along with iPad. the pages literally came to life, it creates these images in your mind and you're able to connect the words to the pictures.
Flickr credit: Paul Stainthorp   

 Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

Polanka, S. (2011). No shelf required e-books in libraries. Chicago: American Library Association. 

1 comment:

  1. Though I can see how easy it is to use technology as a punishment or reward, I really find that to be inappropriate. Given the importance of various technology to accomplish learning these days, it seems counter-productive to punish students by withholding technology use. Unfortunately, we see it too often in education - like when we punish students by sending them home or put in ISS if they are absent too often. ;)

    ReplyDelete